Here’s a little article the daughter unit wrote that I really enjoyed!
The New Parent
New Parents—everybody can identify in some respect with parents~
Either you’ve had one, been one, still are one (!), hope to be one, or can claim the glorious title of “in-the-middle-of-changing-diapers-and-cleaning-faces-and-struggling-with-the-tantrum-that-my-kid-just-threw-in-front-of-a-bazillion-people-who-are-trying-not-to-stare-too-obviously”–#yesmykidneedsjesus; #andsodoi…
I’m the last one J! And I love how God is using parenting to teach me life lessons from this stage in life. Here are 20 of ‘em (in no particular order!) that you may or may not relate to…
God’s been hammering these concepts and ideas in … “Anna,” HE says, “AJ, kiddo…
1. Retrain your brain to fully believe 1Samuel 16:7 “God does not see the same way people see, people look at the outside of a person, but the Lord looks at the heart”
2. You can make yourself feel so very guilty and distressed over the way you and your kid act, but hey, “There is no condemnation to him that is in Christ Jesus” Romans 8:1 Yeah, you’re a sinner, you HAVE Jesus. HE’S it. All you need.
3. There’s not one thing that you can bring to ME in prayer that I will laugh at or consider too small to think about. Yeah, ask ME which order to do your errands in, and then do ‘em. “Call to me and I will answer you” Jeremiah 33:3…
4. And bring the BIG stuff in prayer too. Yeah, pray about your child’s future lifestyle, pursuits, loves, teachers, friendships, current struggles… “…and I will answer you, and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” (Jeremiah 33:3; NAS)
5. Your husband is a resource and HUGE treasure; he will offer you practical and godly insight. So be sure you pray for him too. Your prayer for him will affect your own walk with ME, and the lives of your children.
6. Your kids are sinners, and they help you see your own sin magnified 100X!! I will use your kids to discipline you! (Hebrews 12:9-12)
7. Your pride has no earthly limit. It manifests in every way possible. Only JESUS, and God’s Heavenly Grace, can set you free from it.
8. You owe your parents far greater respect, honor, and thankfulness than you have ever given them (to this day).
9. “…You lack wisdom…ask of God who gives generously and without reproach” James 1:5. When you ask, don’t doubt ME, I am WISDOM.
10. Home-life and training children are currently your primary role and thus your highest priority—read JOY. Deuteronomy 6:6-8 “These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” Talking about MY word with children will help you relate truth to unbelievers too.
11. I AM the Ultimate Father/Parent. So use MY example to parent.
12. I AM Wisdom and Counsel. Pour over MY words; drink deep!
13. I AM Love—1 Corinthians 13:4-8—yep, it’s a high standard. Nope, you can’t keep it. Yep, Christ can be the love you need.
14. Christ is your Righteousness—you’re living like a pauper in comparison to all that CHRIST is and has fully accomplished for you. Live it up, AJ. ASK ME!
15. The Holy Spirit is a very present resource.
16. I AM Sovereign—this is your security while you’re on earth. “But whoever listens to ME will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.” Yeah, disaster may come, but you don’t need to fear it. REST loved one.
17. I AM Holy, Measureless and Grand—you will never understand ME fully while on earth, there is always more depth I can bring you into.
18. I AM Judge. Value my judgment and opinion of you over any other opinion. And STOP (I repeat STOP) comparing yourself to other defendants. I don’t compare you that way, I just see My Son.
19. I am your Designer, Trainer, and Completer. Psalm 138:8, “The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands.”
20. I am seen in every bit of MY creation. Watch as your children experience MY glories for the first time. Watch them enjoy the wind in their face, taste a mango, experiment with their voice, delight with giggles at a friendly face. And remind yourself again of whom I AM.
I’m sure there’s infinitely more to be learned; the musings of this mother are just beginning:D